Sunday, August 21, 2011

New art dolls in the future

I  have plans to make a series of Indian art dolls that represent famous  Indian people of the past.   First will be a set of three women called, " Three  American Indian Women".  They will represent Pocahontas, Sacajawea, and Sarah Winnemucca.   Each of these three women have an important place  in the history of our country. I plan to have the three as a group .

 I actually started the three women project , made and finished Sarah Winnemucca.   Someone saw the finished doll  and loved it  so now that Sarah is in a private collection.    When I get back to the three Indian Women set, I  will have  to make another Sarah.  The second Sarah will be different from the first one, even dressed different and possibly on horseback.   I got involved with something else and haven't gotten back to the three women project, but in good time...

Right now I am working on an interesting project.   A client has a large  model of a birch bark canoe, the type Indian people used in fur trading in the 1700-1800's.  I am making an Indian figure that will  be kneeling in the canoe.  The canoe will be loaded with fur bundles and  accessories which would be necessary to the traveler. 

I have finished  carving the paddle and am ready to sculpt the fingers around the paddle.

More on this project as construction progresses.
Marion Springer


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you like.